Sunday, September 10, 2006

STRAWBERRY: Three Worthies!

The Fall 2006 Strawberry Music Festival, held over Labor Day, was a big event for my new family. It was my daughter's first visit, so we didn't get to see as much music as we would have liked. Thank goodness Hog Ranch Radio (88.1 FM) filled in the gaps!

But this was the first time I've ever approached Main Stage performers to see if they'd like to come by for a house concert. I even "discovered" a great performer, one of the coolest vocalists I've heard in the late-night camp jams at Strawberry.

Even if these folks never make to the Tree House, they are all worthy for you to check out!


BLAME SALLY
These gals are already a big deal in San Francisco, even having made it to KFOG's Acoustic Sunrise. It was their first visit to Strawberry, and they were really entertaining. We saw them in a workshop, on the Main Stage, and even on the porch of their cabin (see image above). Their harmonies alone are worth experiencing, but they also have a lot of fun on stage with each other. They all have day jobs, but they'd love to visit the Monterey Peninsula for a house concert.



TOM BALL & KENNY SULTAN
I've known of these guys for years, and I've seen them at Strawberry a couple of times. If you like blues, harmonica, and very funny lyrics, these are your guys. I ran into Kenny and we got to talking about house concerts and Monterey.
They hang out in Santa Barbara and have played the Monterey Blues Festival a few times, so we'll see if the stars align for a house concert.

And Tom by himself would be a catch. He actually plays solo fingerstyle guitar and has release a couple of classical albums that are extraordinary.



BELLE MONROE
Pam Brandon (aka Belle Monroe) is a vocalist/guitarist for a bluegrass band in San Francisco who knocked me out late one night as I was wandering from camp to camp after the Main Stage ended. I heard her singing jazz standards, blues, country, and bluegrass. I caught up with her at Camp Cowlick when Chick Wagon put on their big Sunday show, and she stole the show. She has so much stage presence and a sultry, smoky voice. I asked if she ever wanted to just come down and sing whatever style she wanted. She's that good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home